AJ Knits

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Good Golly Miss Molly or "What have you done to my knitting!"



Happy Mother's Day! I hope all the Mommy's have been spoiled rotten and have gotten in plenty of knitting time!

Production Scheduling:

Big news for this week! We are now on ITunes and I notice I have had some downloads! WAHOOOOO! I was also able to announce the show notes page this week. (If you're reading this you've obviously found it...) This week also marks the start of a new segment, "What's in my tea pot?

In Production:

There was a whole lotta nothing in production this week. I managed to knit a bit on my Juno Regina by Miriam Felton. I also managed to drop a stitch on the purl row. The Pedestrian Crossing is by Melissa Sibley! I bothched this in the podcast cast and called her Melissa Tuttle. My apologies to Melissa. I also called this a shawl about 14 times and it's a COWL big difference... not sure where my head was. The Pedestrian Crossing Cowl is clicking along and may be finished this week. All other projects on the needles have been ignored this week due to Matron of Honor duties.

QC Inspection:

I dropped a stitch in the Juno Regina. I'm STILL attempting to fix this. Lesson Learned? DO NOT KNIT LACE WHILE TIRED. Wish me luck!

What's In My Tea Pot?

I got into tea when I met back up with my girls friends from high school. We started to meet at a local tea house called Miss Molly's Tea Room for lunches where we would drink tea and catch up. We have since started to share samples of favorites and giving each other recommendations. This Christmas I my friend Nichol gave me an awesome 2 cup tea pot which lives at my office. This little tea pot has set off a trend of drinking decent tea at the office. (even the floral show kind!)

I call myself a tea snob with my tongue firmly in cheek. I drink sweetener in my teas and I like Lipton's in tea bags when I don't have anything else handy. Both of these points would make the "real" Tea Snobs look down their collective noses at me.

Tea Brewing Temps and Times:

Black Tea should be steeped 4-6 minutes in water that has been brought to a full boil.

Green Tea should be steeped at 150-160 degrees for 2-4 minutes.

Herbal teas are by trial and error due to the many varieties steeps about 5 minutes.

If you don't have a thermometer handy, you can tell the water temperature by watching the bubbles. Small bubbles will float to the surface of the water 160-170F , and you'll see strings of bubbles from the bottom of the kettle at 180-190F. After that , you'll have a full roiling boil.

This week I reviewed Pasion Tea Company's Nassau Royale Rum Tea in Pineapple. I found this tea while on vacation in the Bahamas. I really like this tea. I was leery of it at first thinking I would be overwhelmed by the Rum flavor. There is much more rum scent to this tea than actual rum taste. If you run across this give it a try!

Materials Sourcing:
The second bobbing of Corriedale is almost complete! After a spinning guru session with my mom I have found that I am spinning way too thin and that's what's causing my breakage issues. I have a ball of Mohair Kid Blend to spin which seems to need to be drafted by the handful. More on the mohair next week.

Shipping:

Malissa's Socks are done!


I also repaired a pair of socks for my Mom that we won't post up here just yet... :) (Gotta keep some credibility...)

** Just a note shipping may be sparse next week! I'll be reading Dead Reckoning by Charlaine Harris! I love the southern Vampire Series which serves as the inspiration for HBO's TRUE BLOOD.

Bone Room:

I broke down this week and ordered a skein of Lorna's Laces in Zombie BBQ. I'm intending to cast on the Clapotis by Kate Gilbert. Of course the yarn is on BACKORDER! ARGH! (but Jeane at Jimmy Beans wool was really nice about it...) I also mentioned a book whose title I botched. The book my husband bought is The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete protection from the living undead by Max Brooks. My apologies to Max.

After Five:

I had a few funny stories from home this week. The first is about Joe spurning my hand knits, the second is my revenge, and of course a funny mommy story in which B accuses my mother and I of ruining his knitting. I also review Vampire Knits by Genevieve Miller. (So that should make it After (After) five?).

I would love to start a Ravelry group. If anyone is interested friend me as AJLuvsJoe and once I get 3 people I'll get it started!

Have a great week!">

1 comment:

  1. Excellent job. You have a good clear voice for the podcast.

    ReplyDelete