AJ Knits

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Coopworth! or "Toothfairy Trapping!"

Episode 25

I. Production Scheduling
  1. Events
    1. B has to sit on Joe's shoulders to get eye level with Humphrey.
      Petting the Angora Rabbit.
      Ann Arbor Fiber Expo! This show was a it smaller than I expected but it was totally worth the drive out. There were a ton of vendors crammed into three barns. We got there about 10:00 AM and we had plenty of time to canvas the barns and to see what was there before the crush of people came. There were all sorts of yarn vendors but I was really wasn’t feeling the yarn <Gasp> I was there for the fiber! So My first run through the barns I made a mental not of everything I was interested in. Which was mostly roving but I saw a few fleece that I was thinking about and I was also in the market for a real nostepinne so I can retire my Q hook. The first pass took a bit longer than I thought because an the last barn they had some adorable French Angora Rabbits. I would love to have one and living in suburbia this is the only fiber animal I'll be able to keep. (unless I can manage to buy out my neighbors I need and acre of land per sheep...) I stood and chatted with the breeder for 10or 15 minutes gathering rabbit information. I felt too guilty that the poor rabbit would have to endure a 3 hr car ride to buy him. After the rabbit we found a camel named Humphrey. Humphrey was extremely friendly and really likes kids. I have a picture of B, Humphrey and Joe that will be up on the show notes page. Humphrey's owners were selling camel and Jacob fiber as well. I had no idea camel was so soft. I had been previously squishing everything in sight critically and was pleasantly surprised when I squished the camel. After we had seen everything the boys and I headed for the food stand to grab a snack and plot our attack, which was almost my undoing! (BTW the fries here were awesome hand cut and yummy, the polish sausage was decent fair quality, but the funnel cake was sadly over cooked and crumbly) While I was planning my strategy the masses were descending! ACK! I left B and Joe to continue munching and I headed back to the vendors without them to slow me down. Stop 1:Yarn Hollow ( www.yarnhollow.com) where I bought 4oz of Merino Super wash and Tencel in the Galaxy colorway I'm a sucker for jewel tones. The tencel in this roving makes the burgundy's and blue's shine like silk. This was a pretty popular shop and it was hard to get to the braid I wanted though to the braid I wanted through the other shoppers. Stop 2: and where I realized I should have been buying as I went.... Copperpot Woolies. (www.copperpot.etsy.com) Some of the best colors I saw at the expo. Really nice ladies and a great sale. Their fibers were selling quickly and by 11:00 their back shelves were almost empty. I bought 4.3 oz of merino in O Oak, 4.3 oz of Merino, corriedale with Icicle in Hollyberry, 6.8 oz Merino / Corriedale in Nantucket, 4.1oz of merino in cotton candy. Here's where I started to feel my inner penny pincher start to complain... So I headed back to the Camel and Renee Mickam Hairy Camel – Camel Hair Crafts where I picked up 4 oz of Humphrey and 8 oz of Jacob roving for a steal of a deal. I had to ask her if she got the math right and I still think I got the better end of things. At this point I thought I was done and I was headed tot he door. I met up with Joe and B and we were headed out when I saw the angora. I've been regretting not picking up angora at the peninsula fiber fling. So when I saw that Jelly Beans Farms had angora fiber and it was from one of the bunnies we were petting in the barn by the camel I snapped up .8 oz of Carlysle the bunny. I really thought I was out the door this time but as I turn to follow Joe and B Melissa who we were staying with and who had to take her rabbit (non Angora) to the vet came walking in. So Joe went off to hang out in the picnic area and Melissa B and I did the show again. Where I ended up finding Coopworth which I've been wanting for a while. I bought my Coopworth at Hidden Valley Farm and Woolen Mill (http://www.hiddenvalleyfarmwoolenmill.com) I got 8 oz of Peacock and 8 oz of Mary's Lake effect. Whooo! I have officially out grown my fiber storage. It's now a good thing I acquired a huge footlocker size Rubbermaid container when I thought that impromptu crochet course. I now need it for storage. I did made sure to wear smething hand knit so I wore my summerflies shawl and it got several compliments and a few pets as well which was a new experience. b The rest of the trip was really nice. Nate got to see his dad. Joe, Melissa, B and I had dinner at Palm palace (http://www.palmpalace.com) where the bread is made fresh and is to die for! We get the the chefs sampler and never ever pass by desert the chocolate cake is phenomenal with layers of dark chocolate mousse. Mmmmmmm... The next morning we had breakfast at Zingermann's ( http://zingermansdeli.com) followed by cheese shopping yummmy and a new treat called a meat cone which turned out to be and assortment of cured meats, a few slices of pate', and two cornishons. We at that in the car on the way Greenfield village. With such a full weekend we were pretty wiped out on Sunday as we drove home but there was the one stop that Joe was most looking forward to Beef Jerky Unlimited in Luna Pier, Mi. If you';re on I-80 by Toledo and you see the sign that says Beef Jerky Unlimited “We're not a Gas station!” stop in it's worth it! Joe's favorite is the honey BBQ pork jerky. Which is pretty much a cured pork chop with BBQ sauce.
    2. Camp KIP April 21-24 2012 at the Cedar Creek Conference center in New Haven, Missouri
  2. Production
  3. After 5
II Production
  1. Holiday Knitting – we're at 35% with 61 days til Christmas. With all the hullabaloo involved with a family trip I haven't made it back to the ornaments.
  2. I heart lace by Inese Andzane knitted out of Cascade Heritage silk in color 5637 which is a peacock blue. Last week this shawl was in QC. This week I'm back on track. I'm currently 4 rows past where the previous problem was with another life line in. This puts me past the half way point in the lace chart and hopefully it will be a nice downhill coast.
III What's In My Tea Pot
    1. Bengal Spice® Herbal Tea - "Brimming with cinnamon, ginger, cardamom and cloves, a cup of our aromatic Bengal Spice tea is like a trip to an exotic spice market in a faraway land. This adventurous blend is our caffeine-free interpretation of Chai, a piquant Indian brew traditionally made with black tea. Try Bengal Spice with milk and sugar for a true Chai experience."

  1. Melissa gave me a recipe to make this tea bag into Coconut Chai. To do this you take 2/3 coconut milk, 1/3 water and 1 Celestial Seasons Bengal Spice tea bag per cup heat the liquid ingredients and then steep the bags in the liquid. Melissa prefers to use unsweetened coconut milk I prefer the sweetened.
IV After 5
  1. "Oh I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner...."
    B lost his 1st tooth. I'm not sure how I feel about this. Personally I thought he was too little for this. But we've called the pediatrician and the dentist and they say it's possible and not at all unheard of. I looked at the tooth and it doesn't look damaged. I think My issue is that he's my baby and he looks too little to be missing a tooth. He freaked out a bit when it happened (of course we were in the parking lot of the Henry Ford...) But he was quickly reassured when his daddy, miss Melissa,mommy, and even Nate's daddy all reassured him that this was normal and it meant he was getting to be a bigger boy. He did not however want to sleep with the tooth under his pillow. He thought that was like sleeping on a bone and that was scary. So we put it on the corner of his dresser. This morning when he went to look at his tooth Joe tells me that he yelled “Dada! It's a miracle my tooth turned into a dollar.!” We'll have to work on the whole tooth fairy thing. Though I have to say that this tooth fairy experience is so much more preferable than one I had with Nate. Nate decided he was going to attempt to trap the tooth fair and so when I went to creep into his room to put the money under his pillow he had bungee cords and strings clanking cans strung from them so that I had to thread my way though the room mission impossible style avoiding all the strings.
  2. B has also figured out that daddy can be easily swayed into buying treats as the grocery store. As they were walking down the fruit snack aisle B saw the fruit leather and went into begging mode. When daddy gave in he grabbed a second box and said “we'll just get 2...” and popped it into the cart. I can't believe it worked! I hope that trick works for mommy the next time she's in the yarn store and daddy is paying!


.

No comments:

Post a Comment