AJ Knits

Sunday, July 31, 2011

"Do Me a Solid" or To Ply or Not Two Ply

Episode 14

I Production Scheduling
1. Events
1. Crooked River Fiber Fling in Peninsula, Oh August 4th-7th. I'll be at this even on August 6th.
2. Ann Arbor Fiber Expo October 22 and 23rd at the Washtenaw Farm Council Grounds.
3. Yankee Peddler Festival in Canal Fulton, OH 3 weekends in September the weekend of the 10th, 17th, and 24th. I'll be at this event on September 18th. Be sure to drop by the Algonquin Spinning and Weaving Guild's booth. They'll be doing demonstrations and may have crafts for kids!
2. Production
3. What's in my Tea Pot?
4. Materials Sourcing
5. After 5

II. Production – I've had an incredibly huge case of cast – on it is this week. Nothing has been finished but there a million things on hooks nd needles,
1. The Embassy Scarf by Amy Polcyn found in the Knitscene summer 2011 issue. I’ll be knitting this out of Knitpicks Shadow laceweight in Foxtrot.
1. This one almost bit me this week. It's kind of like a wild animal if you lull yourself into a state of false security it will turn on you. I've been treating this like a social project and I haven't been respectign the pattern and flubbed upom one of the YO rows. The lace is of somewhere by one stitch. Looking for it I can't find it so I'm not sweating it.

2. Kitschy Teacup Pot Holders: {Free Crochet Pattern} from www.tipnut.com. These are being hooked Sugar and Cream Cotton yarn in White, Rose Pink, Hot Green. And yellow.
1. To recall from last week the first attempt at this cup was uber hug and maid on the needle that the cpotton yarn suggested. Soooo searching for the correct gauge needle I went down to what I thought was going to be ridiculously small 3.75 MM and low and behold the resulting cup was just a touch over size. Then becaquse I can never leave anythign well enough alone.... I decided to roughtly cut the pattern size in half. Which is something that should not require a calculator but we're starting to enter a scary pre apocolyptic place... :)

3. Knitting A Basic Toe-Up Sock Using the “Magic Loop” Circular Method One Sock on One Circular which is a free ravelry download and available at http://www.tostetoes.com/onesockoneneedletoeup.htm
1. This is my first foray in to the toe up sock. Which is a bit hard to believe as socks were on of the 1st things I knit.
2. The pattern is written for wedge toe with a magic 8 cast on. I hd to take to You tube to learn the magic eight but as it was pretty straight forward I was off and running in about 20 minutes.
3. I'm doing these socks with the left overs from Melissia's striped socks from back in Episode one.... I was looking at the left over balls thingkign I bet I can get a pair of short top socks outta that and so... here we go. I'm doing these one sock at a time so the first to is on and I'm knitting on the foot.
4. The Age of Brass and Steam Kerchief by Orange Flowwer patterns. I saw this pattern ages ago on Mommy Needs Yarn with Erin Walsh. I thought it was sute then and now I've cast on my own.
1. This pattern was cast on out of my hand spun from the tour de fleece. The simple patern shows of the yarn quite well and I'm really happy with it. The only thing I'm not happy with is my color choice but I think one I get farther into the second color I'll like it more. Right now it's looking a bit where's waldo...
2. I'm halfway into the second group of 10 stckinette repeats I may make this a bit bigger by adding another garter stitch eyelete repeat and yet another set of 10 stockinetter repeats.

III What's In my Tea Pot?
1. Tazo Orange Blossom Green availale from starbucks not on the TAZO tea site.
1. Back of the box.
2. I found the Tazo site a bit annpoyign worth the trip is their “tea Leaf reader” Plug in your name, # of tattoos,and secret crush and their “oracle” will read you leaves. Apparently I'll soon become a world champion Bass fisherman.! Can you knit on a bass boat?

IV Materials Sourcing
1. As predicted last week I got over my proximity annoyance with babe and did some spinning this week. I finished a bobbin of the Pot Luck Roving from Paradise Fibers in the Party colorway. I also Plied it this week after 2 days of hemming and hawing over whether or not to chain ply or double ply from a center pull ball. I finally decide to two ply from the center pull and started brushing up on y Nostepinne skills and wound off the entire bobbin. Only to change my mind and decide I wanted to chain ply. So I had to finish the bobbin to avoid the snarled mess. This bobbin did end up as an approximate worsted weight. I haven't wound it off the bobbin yet to figure out yardage.
1. Funny thing about a nostepinne... I had no idea what one was until recently I thought nostepinne was the German name for a darning egg. It wasn't until quite recently I googled it and found a lovely tutorial on how to use one. I also saw that several people had posted pics of using their HUGE Q Crochet hooks as Nostepinne which is what I do now. If you're interested that tutorial complete with pictures and video is at “The Fiber Fool” blog http://blog.designedlykristi.com/?p=335 which will be linked to on the show notes.
2. The Tour de fleece yarn also got a dye job this week. I had some Kool aid packets on hand from my last foray into dying and I Came out with some rose pink (cherry), aqua blue (not sure what flavor that was...) and lavender purple (Grape). The rose pink and the natural are going into my Age of Brass and steam Kerchief.

V After 5
1. With all this knitting and Spinning going on I'm shocked i had time for anything else. Book this week but I did! I read a book this week! I read Soulless Book One of the Parasol Protectorate series by Gail Carriger. I think we have established in the past that I love a vampire novel A la the Southern Vampire series from Charlaine Harris and of Course Anne Rice's vampires. What we haven't discussed is my love of all things Jane Austen and Victorian... Yes I realize Austen is not Victorian.... Joe cringes whenever he see a period movie is coming out because he know that there is no way for him to see the movie of his choice with me because I'm going to want to see the historical one...:) or the boring one if you ask him. Soulless has everything I love I love about an Austen novel a strong female heroin who isn't the likely girl to get the boy Mixed with vampires, and a touch of steam punk. As if I needed another reason to love this book... they drink tea! And the authors picture on the leaf is her sipping out of a china cup. Love it! Right now on Boarders.com these books are are all 8.00. I'm conflicted as to weather I'll be ordering some yarn this week or books... UGH! What a decision.
2. Knock on wood the car is fixed and running this week. It wasn't just the belt as we had hoped but the alternator that froze up. I seem to be hemorrhaging cash into the car lately. On a brighter note with the car running I finally got the who family up to the Mexican restaurant! Hurray! Only to find out that they are out of Ice Cream. ARGH! So we all went up to the Arctic Squirrel in downtown Kent instead for some Cookie Monster Ice cream.
3. B has become quite the back seat driver lately. He's started to yell for me to lookout when cars are coming toward us (they're in their own lane...), We're driving under a tree. Or there is a biker. I'm not sure if there are any brit comedy fans out there but he reminds me of Hyacinth Bucket of Keeping Up appearances “Mind the cyclist”... “Mind the Pedestrian...” on our way home this week B was peering out the window and said “Is that black stuff on the road oil?” I was confused for a minute until I realized the black stuff in question were the many Black top patches the city put on the back roads to fix the plow damage. But before I could explain to him that it wasn't oil he yells “Watch out for the oil mommy it's dangerous you can slip!” and even after I explained it wasn't oil it was black top he argued with me until I told him that it was to fix the holes in the road. Then suddenly it all made sense...

No comments:

Post a Comment