AJ Knits

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Fiber Fling or "Nice Tchotchkes"

Episode 15

I Production Scheduling
1. Events
1. Crooked River Fiber Fling
1. Joe, B and I made it out the door in record time to meet up with the Cuyohoga falls knit and hook group. We were supposed to meet up with them at 11:30 at GAR hall.
2. I made a tactical parking error. How was I supposed to know that this “Fling” wasn't at a centralized place. It's spread all over the town.
3. We never found the Knitter's at the GAR hall but it was packed and the first building was tiny. I saw one vendor selling hand painted roving but the prices were way to high. I also saw some really nice alpaca sport weight yarn but to buy enough for a project would have been exorbitant.
4. It was at this point a woman pulled me aside and said we had to pay the admission fee. I have no problem paying admission. I expected to pay admission... But if you're charging admission perhaps you should be in front of the door. Not sitting off to the side socializing! I’m just saying.
5. We high tailed it out of GAR Hall pretty quickly.
6. The next building was across the street at the historical Society. Much better!
7. 1st in the door I met up with John and Kathy Kirkwood of Kirkwood farms. They sell hand spun wool, roving, and crafts in Mt union Ohio. They are a really nice couple and From them I bought 4 oz of white Romney blended with black alpaca. Soooo Soft and squishy! And almost as good as the fiber was the bag, They have hand stenciled little lambs on them! Sooo Cute!
8. After the second building. I think Joe was on Fiber over load and it was about lunch time but we had to walk all the way down the hill to get to our car. After the long walk back down. We fueled up and took the car out to the farms to see the animals.
9. Heritage farm was worth the drive! There were several farms there with their alpacas. One farm had a sheep being walked around on a leash and among the many vendors was my one shoulda purchased item. Sheephaven Huthworks had angora fiber and angora bunnies. They were soooo cute and Since I have a currently un occupied Guinea pig habitat I think I should fill it with an angora bunny. Joe was not thrilled with this idea. The only thing that stopped me from buying the bunny was never spinning angora before. But I have their website and I'll be placing an order! So if Joe still hasn't dismantled that Pig Habitat by next year I reserve the right to fill it.
10. Heritage farm also had the sno cone truck. BEST IDEA EVER!
11. We did make the drive out to The Spicy Lamb. Parking was a bit wonky. But it was only us and two other cars. It was sooo hot and sooo humid the sheep were hiding and the poor herding dog looked miserable. We couldn't make it to the herding demo... (which woulda been 15 mins) I think Joe was about to spontaneously combust and B was getting grumpy. So we packed it in atfer a quick look around and retreated to the comfort of the AC in the car.
12. It's worth mentioning that the whole house crashed hard after wondering peninsula in the heat. We all to a looooong nap.
2. Ann Arbor Fiber Expo October 22 and 23rd at the Washtenaw Farm Council Grounds.
3. Yankee Peddler Festival in Canal Fulton, OH 3 weekends in September the weekend of the 10th, 17th, and 24th. I'll be at this event on September 18th. Be sure to drop by the Algonquin Spinning and Weaving Guild's booth. They'll be doing demonstrations and may have crafts for kids!
4. Production
5. What's In my Tea Pot
6. Materials Sourcing
7. Shipping
8. After 5
II Production
1. The Embassy Scarf by Amy Polcyn found in the Knitscene summer 2011 issue. I’ll be knitting this out of Knitpicks Shadow laceweight in Foxtrot.
1. This one didn't get much love this week. I think I only got one or two rows of this in between other projects. Like when I was feeling lazy and didn't want to wind handspun skeins in to balls.
2. Knitting A Basic Toe-Up Sock Using the “Magic Loop” Circular Method One Sock on One Circular which is a free ravelry download and available at http://www.tostetoes.com/onesockoneneedletoeup.htm
1. I'm beyond the toe and getting ready to start the 1stof the 2 increase rows before the heel.
2. I'm eying my yarn for this (Which is left overs from another pair of socks)and I don't think I have enough. I'm starting to think instead of a heel I'm going to do some ribbing and turn this into a top down premi hat.
III What's in My Tea Pot
1. On the long walk back down the hill at the finer fling I saw a store front that said” Salada Tea” and I was thinking a local tea shop?! Yay! When I went im the shop I found way more nick nacks than tea. But I did manage to find 2 varieties to try. They were hidden in the from of the shop with local jams...
2. Storehouse Tea Company's Black and Red Tea: Vanilla, Chocolate, Apple, Coconut. The packaging reads The rich, creamy flavor of tropical coconut, and chocolate in a base of Black tea and Rooibos make this tea a wonderful alternative to dessert! High in antioxidants and heart healthy. Ingredients om this one Organic black tea, organic rooibos, organic apple, organic cacao nibs, organic coconut, and natural flavoring
3. The first brew of this was decent. I think it's the apple that throws me in this. The last of the pot that admittedly sat with the leave in the pot was really sweet and fruity . Almost cloyingly so. I don't think this tea is terrible but I don't think I'd buy it again.
IV Materials Sourcing
1. I've done ZERO Spinning this week. I'm a huge slacker!
2. The only material I sourced was a Zauberball in Indian Pink which I will be using to swatch for the Summer Flies Shawl by Donna Griffin. ( A free ravelry download.)
V Shipping
1. Taadaa! I finally have something in shipping!
2. The Age of Brass and Steam Kerchief by Orange Flower patterns. I knit this out of my handspun from the Tour De Fleece. It's currently Cherry pink and natural cream,m white. I'm not sure if I'm loving the colors. I have this itch to soak it in some purple dye. MUST RESIST PURPLE!
3. This was a quick and pretty pattern. It shows of my wonky handspun really well and makes me proud of my efforts. (Even though the yarn ranges from laceweight to bulky. :))
4. I knit this with an extra added section of 10 stockinette repeats and it came out shawlette size next time I knit this pattern I think I'll add yet another 10 repeats and get a full size shawl.
VI After 5
1) B Is livin' for the weekend.
1. B's cousin had a birthday party this weekend. We told B about the party back on Wednesday and every day he asked is it time for the party? He had pretty much had enough of the waiting by Friday morning. I was one intersection before day car when I hear him making frustrated noises the back seat. “What's the matter B?” I ask. And he Relies “We can't go to school!” Uh oh... “We have to go to school today...” and the frustrated wail from the back “WHAT ABOUT THE PARTY!” Lesson learned never talk up the weekend to a 4 yr old before you can refer to it as tomorrow or After night night.
2. B is also learning to drive. This week I had B out in the yard with his power wheels car. He only ran me over a few times and is now making the circuit around the yard and through the grapevine tunnel. We did find a rather nasty looking beehive in one of the bushes by the garage. Which Nate and Joe have been bonding over. What is it about the demise of some?bee's that makes the male brain register “good times”? There's been discussion of how far back you have to be while spraying the hive, how layers of protective clothing to where, and what time of day to cut the hive down... JUST IN CASE. The hive is now down and gone but you better believe my rear end was hiding in the house when it was going on.
3. Joe and I took B to the movies this weekend. This was my first outing with him to the movies. I usually try to avoid places where a rambunctious 4 yr old can ruin another patron experience just by being a 4 yr old. I know this is a novel though to some but there are some places that children don't belong. He did really well at the theater! I think it also helped that the movie was Cars 2. I have to say the new Cars was a fun movie for the whole family. Definite 2 thumbs up from us.
4. Lastly next week's episode may be delayed and or I may skip a week. I'll be having some oral surgery to remove my wisdom teeth and I’m not sure if I'll be up to pod casting. Even scarier... I'm not sure if I'll be up to knitting on pain killers. I think I'll be treating next weekend like I'd treat a night with a few glasses of wine. All knitting will be flat and in the round or in some other way idiot proof. I may come out of my recover period with a long wool tube dress. Yeah, that'll be attractive...

No comments:

Post a Comment