AJ Knits

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Keep on Spinning or "For better or for Worsted"

Episode 9

I Production Scheduling
1. Thank You to Rockingranola for a lovely Itunes review
2. Events. (Woolfest at Lake Farm Park was today!
3. Production
4. What's in My Tea Pot
5. Shipping!
6. Materials Sourcing
7. After 5

II Events / Materials Sourcing
1. Wool Fest!
a) Last night I panicked and realized that my class was at 9:00 this morining. ACK! That meant that the whole family had to be up at 7:00 and 9out the door by 8. We can barley do this on a workday let alone pull it off on a sleepy weekend.
b) I got to my class just in time to here “so we're missing aj...” from the hallway.
c) Class Pros
Well Attended
The Instructor Deb Yeagle really knows her stuff and provided about 5 different fibers for us to try.
Deb took us from “thigh spinning” to Drop spindle to the wheel.
I found out that I'm not really a beginner but in that in between phase of knowing what I'm doing but needing to fine tune and figure out how to fix my problems.
I got my biggest questions answered Deb confirmed that my single is pulling apart because I'm not treadling fast enough and the slubs in my spinning are because I have a habit of letting goof the single to draft instead of slinging evenly and letting things just flow.
This was fun I got to meet a whole room full of new spinners!
d) Class Cons
This class was truly for beginners. I felt a little too advanced as some had not used a drop spindle before and some did not know basic terms like plying, I know I signed up for a beginners course but I felt bad that I seemed to be ahead of everyone and attracting attention, I really did not want to upstage the instructor by answering questions because I don't feel qualified to teach anyone anything.
Too short! Everyone ran out at 11:30. I wanted to hang out and spin.. :(
e) The tents and vendors
f) Rainbow Sheep
There was a sheep to shawl contest running. I saw the sign on the rainbow sheep and just about had a heart attack. Shear, Clean, Spin, and knit a shawl in 5 hrs. EGAD! Then I found out it was a team and the shawl was woven.. DUH!!!!!
B Loved petting the sheep in the tent. I think we pet every single one of them. The rainbow sheep reminded me of my dog Ollie. Hmmmm... Look out Ollie you have a date with some sheers!
I really liked that each sheep in the tent was labeled with fiber samples one lock, one sample of spun yarn and one swatch of knitted, crocheted, or woven fabric. From these samples (and the samples from my spinning class ) I've decided I want to find some Coopworth, Churra, and Jacob fleece to spin.
g) The Vendors
h) The vendor area was set up in a large horse showing barn. There were a decent amount of vendors not as many as I expected but it took me a good hour to make my first pass though, There were a lot of hand dyed yarns and some nice roving the only think I wish I would have bought that I didn't were some lovely dyed mohair locks. They had some fantastic colors and they were uber soft. Though I think they were actually intended for felting rather than spinning.
Columbus park fiber and Quilting
Vincent and Frank do Fiber sales and Processing out of Waterford, PA (Erie Area)
They had a great price on some hand cards so I bit the bullet. :)
They are also Kromski dealers
Dakota Designs
This vendor was the first inside the door and I could have saved myself the time walking around as I came back to them to buy my roving.
Sarah Polsinelli operates out of her home in Cleveland Heights, Ohio and are on the web at www.dakotaskipper.net it looks like a blog but you can click the fiber store tab to get to the Fibery goodness.
4.4 oz of New Zealand Merino in Sweet pea (Lavender purple)
4.2 oz of New Zealand Merino in Honey (dreamy creamy yellow)
4.2 oz of Silk Merino Blend in Pomegranate (blended burgundy, tan, and white silk)
4.6 oz Mystery wool Black Cherry I tore a piece off and thigh spun a price of this. I was leery because it wasn’t clearly marked. Bit I like ,y single and the color spoke to me and the price was right.

b) Stitch marker class
No One showed up but me! This was a cute take away and the instructor was really nice. I did feel I was kind of holding her up while I finished but the kit was adorable and I may pick up some pins and beads and make some of these as gifts.
c) Also coming up...
Crooked River Fiber Fling in Peninsula, Oh August 4th-7th.
Ann Arbor Fiber Expo October 22 and 23rd at the Washtenaw Farm Council Grounds. This one is still tentative as of now.

II Shipping
1. I can't find a way to gloss but this and fit production into it's normal spot so I'll just come out and say it. THE DAYBREAK is DONE! WAHOOO!. I was knitting The Day Break Shawl By Stephen West. Knitted out of Bamboo and Ewe in Bamboo and ewe Purple and Berroco comfort in color way #1812. It 's lovely I've been keeping it on the back of my chair at the office and it's absolutely cuddle worthy...:) Soooo happy with this I could just gush. Will I be making another anytime soon? Not likely... I need a break from those Loooooong stockinette rows.
III Production
1. The Clapotis by Kate Gilbert from Knitty.com is on the needles I'm doing this out of Malabrigo in the Archangel colorway, What can I say I'm fickle. This is the new love of my life. The color of this yarn is gorgeous, I love the acid green and fluorescent yellow mixed in with the berry burgundy. The sheen on the fabric makes it look like chenille from the right angle. The pattern is a breeze and the stitch repeats are easy to memorize and keep track of. I've breezed through to section 3 and have dropped 5 stitches. Sooo only 7 more repeats to go on section three.! I have to admit though that each time I drop a stitch I still cringe.
IV What's in my Tea Pot
1. Oriental Spice Tea from Adagio Teas
a) In Indian culture, 'Masala' means 'a blend of spices', and 'chai' simply means 'tea.' So, the celebrated Masala Chai is literally 'spiced tea.' If you're new to spiced tea, our warm and approachable Oriental Spice is a great place to start. Tangy and bright Ceylon black tea is blended with cinnamon, cardamom, ginger and orange rinds. Fresh and herby-sweet aromas, spicy flavor balanced with citrusy tea, pleasantly dry finish.
b) I love chair and this is a great one! Excellent find many thanks to KnittinWolf for enabling me to do some tea stash enhancement.:)
V After 5
1. Joe Still doesn't want hand knits.
a) This weekend I dropped Nate off with my mom for the week. It's summer and hanging out around the house is LAME. While we were sitting and chatting over popcorn and my Clapotis... it came up again that Joe doesn't want hand knits. So since we had another guy in the house my Dad.. we asked him if he would wear a pair of hand knit socks. His answer “not in the girly stripes and color you wear..” Major points for dad! So seeing that he was in the minority Joe decides to criticize the thickness of my socks. Wrong move buddy! He actually suggested that my socks are an inch thick. Grrrrrr... They may have been an inch thick when I just started and had not found sock yarn but they aren't any more, He's just lucky his feet are the size of my forearm and it would take 3 months to knit him a pair of socks. He might how ever get an “Unloved Husband” hat. For this winter. He does however get mass points for spending the day at a fiber festival with me.
2) I'm still sooo happy to have my life back to normal. I'm looking forward to processing my fleece for Tour de Fleece, playing with my new fiber, and knitting on my Clapotis this week. I may even get out of my monogamous knitter rut and pull out the Plarn Lopi tote or spiral vicious. Ahhhhh!

No comments:

Post a Comment