AJ Knits

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Making the Knit Scene or "It's hard to look macho with a balloon animal."

AJ knits Episode 6

I Production Scheduling
a) Events
b) Production
c) QC Inspection
d) What's in my Tea Pot
e) Materials Sourcing
f) Bone room
g) After 5

II Events
a) Saturday June 11th is National Yarn Bombing Day

b) Sunday June 12th is World Wide knit in Public Day Cuyohoga falls Knit and hook will be
meeting up at Hardesty Park in Akron, Ohio at 11:00.

c) Woolfest at Lakefarm Park June 23 to 26. I will be at this event on Sunday the 26th taking the beginning spinning class.

d) Crooked River Fiber Fling August 4th-7th.

III Production
a) The Day Break Shawl By Stephen West. Knitted out of Bamboo and Ewe in Bamboo and '
ewe Purple and Berroco comfort in color way #1812. I'm still clicking away on the Daybreak I
have about 6 sets of stripes to go until the final edging. The rows are getting long but I really
want this done.

b) The fulled Lopi Tote. This week to cure a case of cast-on it is I cast this on out of Plarn.
When casting this on I broke the cardinal rule of knitting. I did not swatch. The pattern calls
Size 15 circs. I think that the pattern is calling for a larger needle sz to compensate for the
shrinkage during the felting process. Unfortunately my plarn will not shrink so what I'm getting
is a fairly open fabric. Which isn't a bad thing as this is just a grocery bag. The pattern is knit
from the top down. The handles are basically large glorified button holes. It's knitting up fairly
quickly but the plarn takes a toll on my hands. All in all this bag is a great breather from the day break.

c) Nothing else on the needles got any time this week. Still pining to cast on the Clopotis, take
another run at the spiral viscous, and test out that spiral sock that’s floating in the back of my head.

IV QC Inspection
a) The daybreak has bit me twice this week. I can be an airhead from time to time. (yeah big
surprise..) I was knitting along on one of the monstrously long rows on the day break and had
ther Berroco (or color B as it's referred to in the pattern) on my lap. I'll have to admit that yes it was about 11:00 at night and yes I was pretty tired. Some how I managed to loop 3 strands from the side of the ball onto my needles like a stitch marker. How this even happened I have no clue. So after I worked my way through the row and got the ball of yarn disconnected I was knitting while the family was watching TV and somehow managed to drop about 6 stitches. Gf Again how this sort of thing happens I have no clue but after a lot of swearing and almost
crying I got them back on and everything is twisted correctly and back to clicking along.
Hopefully this will be the last time this pattern bites me.

V What's In My Tea Pot
a) Gold Kili Ginger Drink Instant Ginger Drink is a blend of high quality ginger and pure honey added for a fragrant smooth and delicious drink. A drink you can enjoy at anytime of the day. This tea has a ton of sugar in it and comes in at about 80 calories a cup. This one isn't for someone watching their calories. Hot this tea tastes like a ginger snap on steroids,.over ice you still get a ginger burn but with a medicinal after taste. I had Joe taste this one and he and I both agree that there is a medicinal after taste. If your a Ginger fan this is the drink for you. If you're and amateur like Joe and I give it a try but be prepared!

b) I did find a winner in the tea stash but unfortunately couldn't find any information on it. The bag seems to be in Chinese the only English on it says it's Beijing Iris. Inside the packet is what looks like tamarind Chamomile flowers, green tea leaves, and some large sugar crystals. This ones a good one. I'll be looking into what this really is this week. Hopefully Melissa has the box or I can get a friend of mine with Cantonese in-laws to translate for me!

VI Materials Sourcing
a) This week I signed up for the Tour De Fleece on ravelry. Tour De Fleece is a spinning challenge that mirror's the Tour De France. When the cyclists are riding we're spinning. I've
signed up to spin with the Rookie 2011 team. The rookie team is for 1st yr TDF competitors so even if you've been spinning a while you can join the rookie team. As we all know I’m a rookie in every sense of the word and will be in good company. My goal for this will be to spin through my bag of mystery fleece from greenfield village. Looking more closely at this bag It think it's going to take a lot more processing than I thought. I've started to research carding and I think that I'm going to have to invest in a set of wool combs and cards just by looking at how much veg matter is in this wool. It's a bit disconcerting.. especially with the prices on combs and cards. I wasn't exactly ready for this. So I may be changing my goal to spin and ply one of my 8 oz balls of pot luck fiber. It really depends on whether or not I think I can get this wool processed for spinning. The Tour de Fleece starts in July so I have a few more weeks to decide what I'm doing. Hopefully my spinning course at Lake Farm Park will help get me to peak spinning condition...:)

VII Bone room

A) The Zombie BBQ had arrived! WOOHOO! Thank you Jimmy Beans. Now to figure out
what to do with it... Perhaps a pair of socks in my future... One thing is for sure I need to get somethings off my needles. I am officially out of cables for my interchangeable s... something I
never thought would happen.

G After 5

a) Nate's B-day at the Samurai
b) 2 weeks to Eric and Gina's wedding and Aj is gaining weight.
c) Summer 2011 Knit Scene
ci) Article on Garter Stitch By Stephen West!
cii) Heliosphere Tank by Romi Hill
ciii) Radian Yoke by Wendy Bernard
civ) **Mie Pullover by Sarah Fama I LOVE the faux vents on the side of this pull over I think I could easily adapt this to accommodate my “curves”.
cv) Starboard Cape by Courtenay Kelley
cvi) ** Embassy Scarf by Amy Polcyn. I have some Knit Picks tonal lace weight that I have in mind for this. Too bad all my cables are in projects I might have cast this on tonight!.
cvii) Clipper mitts by Izumi Auchi WONDER WOMAN! These are destined for cosplay! Perhaps to be paired with the knitted corset from vampire knits... hmmmmm
cviii) Figurehead shawl Alexis Winslow. This looks like a fun quick knit. I like the scalloped edge and it's absolutely adorable styled with a button around the shoulders.

No comments:

Post a Comment